Julie in Japan

I find myself on the Pacific rim of fire!

Saturday, 27 October 2007

The Chao Phraya River, Bangkok




My best fun was riding on the Chao Phraya River, the backbone of a network of canals, floating markets and waterside temples. By taking a boat for over an hour up the river, past sand barges and canoes I managed to escape the bulk of tourists. From there I chartered my own longtailed boat to an island, just ten sq kms with no roads (with my Japanese yen I was feeling flush). The villagers use motorbikes to get round, great to be away from the busy traffic. After the hectic time in Bangkok this was a perfect escape. There I ate mussels at a stall and walked right round the island past lush vegetation. I came across potteries and kilns; the islands clay is rich for fruit, banana trees, coconut palms, papaya with traditional wooden houses above the marshy ground on stilts.

No comments: