Julie in Japan

I find myself on the Pacific rim of fire!

Sunday, 6 May 2007

First visit to Tokyo

Miss Chiara and I (an Italian who is a teacher at our school) went to town yesterday. I haven't been in a hurry to get there but I just can't wait to get back now. Having based the trip round food, I was not disappointed. It was a wonderful experience. Rivers of people endlessly stream into the maze of streets, buildings, bars and "businesses affecting public morals" i.e. sex shops.

The first restaurant (it took some finding) everyone shouted 'irasshaimase!' (welcome!) We sat at a low table on the mat to eat soba, buckwheat and wheat noodles served in a light broth. It's very healthy and not altogether exciting but the setting was great and the waitress looked more like a nursing sister from years ago.

We took a ride up many many floors of a 243 m tall Tokyo City Hall -impressive architecture. This was the scene that greeted us, great views. This is a good website for more photos from the City Hall


By then I had built up a mighty appetitite and found Sri Lankan specialities with flatbreads and fantastic curries, quite different to the normal Indian curries with distinctive flavours of their own.

By then I had had it with the crowds. Great to know that I can come back again and try to pick off a different place - it's massive aye.

No comments: