Julie in Japan

I find myself on the Pacific rim of fire!

Friday, 9 November 2007

Izu Penninsula

Last weekend I went with my friend to the Izu Peninsula in her car; which made a bit of a change from always catching the train.
The beach was at the end of the Peninsula, far away from the other horrendous tourist developments with massive concrete block hotels. It was a small undeveloped country place with golden sand and turquoise water. It was a fantastic weekend of weather, good enough to go swimming. In Japan everyone stops swimming in October and the beaches are officially closed! I was the only swimmer and my friend would have little to do with me on the beach in my togs. Yet the water was so warm. We stayed in a Japanese B&B except we got dinner as well, for the most elaborate feed and comfortable bed. Dinner included many varieties of dishes; raw fish, meat, pickles, prawn, potato dish, rice with all sorts of goodies in it, spring rolls with meat & veggies inside and steamed fish, tofu dish; it was so filling and gorgeous what an array, what a feast. Breakfast was also a delight pictured below: melon, rice, salad, egg, salmon.





The house was nestled in some lovely countryside and even the bathroom was spring water, natural and soft on the skin, a huge big bath. The owners were so nice and it was great having Naoko with me to translate. We even found a nice coffee place with a bakery on our travels to top it all off. However we were stuck in a traffic jam on the way home: a mass exodus back to the big smoke afterall this is the biggest city in the world.

No comments: