Julie in Japan

I find myself on the Pacific rim of fire!

Monday, 30 April 2007

Welcome to Japan

Shellfish is very different to shellfish as we know it.

This enjoyable meal was eel (unangi), a popular delicacy in Japan. It's cooked over hot coals and brushed with soy sauce & saki. Lovely.



High in the mountains there are these shrines.
Japan wasn't really on my wish list of 'places to go'. My presumption was that it was westernised – actually calligraphy and tea ceremony are subjects taught at my school and all around where I live I stumble upon temples.

Having said that, there's all the shopping a girl could wish for. The supermarkets are an array of sushi, fish, tofu, rice, miso and I like the saki shelves too. Many evenings I wander round the shelves (I'm wondering if food shopping is becoming a compensation for missing Jo!)


I have arrived in spring, the best season for weather along with autumn. The famous cherry blossoms are a national obsession with families and friends gathering to eat together for outdoor picnics. Judging by the smell of moth balls and alcohol on the train in the weekend, best clothes and beers or sake go hand in hand.

1 comment:

keith said...

Hi Julie and Estelle
Thanks for the postcard. Sounds as if you are having a ball. Great blog, pics and info.
Makes me want to visit myself !
No pics of Estelle though!
Fantastic trip to take esp with the cherry blossoms around this time of the year.
Denise says hiand see you soon.
Keith